From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:15:43 -0400
Jason,

What you may want to do is to keep a referral list of professional
appraisal organizations or appraisers that specialize in sports
memorabelia that you can provide to people who inquire about the value
of thier own collections. You might even consider writing an
informational brochure with a general guidelines for collectors of
sports memorabelia that covers things like what kind of cleaning,
restoration is appropriate, insurance, etc. along with appraisal
resources. That will save you timne in repeating the same information a
zillion times and it will be well appreciated instead of just saying,
"No, we can't do that."

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator
Los Angeles, California

  On 4/5/05 10:09 AM, "Jason Aikens" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

  > I have a philosophical question on whether museums should encourage
or
 > discourage private collecting.  As the Collections Curator at the Pro
  > Football Hall of Fame it is my responsibility to field questions
from the
  > public regarding the value of their memorabilia on how they can sell
their
  > memorabilia.  Often people mistakenly believe that we purchase
memorabilia
 > which we do not.  Everything we collect is through donations.
 >
  > Our institution wrestles with the dilemma, as a public service
should we
  > help people determine the value of their memorabilia?  Should we
help them
 > sell their memorabilia by pointing out reputable dealers and auction
  > houses?  Or is the memorabilia market and private collecting a
source of
  > competition to our own acquisition efforts through donations?  Or
does the
  > memorabilia market and private collecting generate interest in
football
  > memorabilia in general and encourages collectors and the public to
attend
 > our museum to see highly valuable memorabilia?
 >
  > I’m sure many professionals can relate to this dilemma, since nearly
all
 > museums collect objects or works of art that not only have historical
  > significance but also have monetary value in the open market.
 Please let
 > me know what your opinions are on this issue.  If this issue, as to
  > whether museums should discourage or encourage private collecting,
has
 > been discussed in museum publications please let me know.
 >
 > Thanks
 >
 > Jason Aikens
  > Collections Curator
Subscriber Information: The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message
should read "help" (without the quotes).