From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:57:58 -0700
The following survey is from our Campaign and Membership Manager, Sally
Collins. As she is not on the list, please respond directly to her via
e-mail: [log in to unmask] or phone: 408/279-7130. Although it is rather
lengthy, I hope you will take the time to answer our survey. We will be
happy to share a summary of the results with those who participate.

***********************************

The Tech Museum of Innovation is growing its membership and could benefit
from the experience and input of other museums. We would especially like
to be in touch with museums which:

- conducted a charter membership program (especially if while completing a
capital campaign)

- opened a new building or wing (especially if it changed their pricing
structure and benefits)

- have an IMAX theater

***********************************

The Tech Museum of Innovation
Science Museum Membership Survey

MEMBERSHIP STATISTICS
How many members do you currently have?
How many did you have prior to opening (or expanding)?
What is your renewal rate?
What is your annual goal for numbers of members and $ income?

MEMBERSHIP LEVELS AND PRICING
What are your current membership levels and prices?
Did you increase prices upon opening (or expanding)? By how much?
What special incentives, if any, were offered to current members to join at
the old price?

MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
What are your current membership benefits?
What special benefits were offered during your opening?
What members only events were conducted during your pre-opening or opening?
How much (if any) of a member discount is given for for public programs and
workshops, lectures, camps, etc.?
Have you ever surveyed your membership to determine what benefits are most
important to members? If so, what were the results?

DIRECT MAIL AND TELEFUNDING
Did you conduct a charter membership campaign to increase membership prior
to opening (or expanding)? Please describe the campaign -- its goals and
achievements.
How many direct mail campaigns do you conduct annually? Describe number of
pieces dropped, budget, goal, response rate and any testing done.
What types of telefunding campaigns do you conduct annually? Describe target
audiences, budget and response rate.

STAFF AND ORGANIZATION
Is Membership part of Development, Marketing, or another department?
Size of Development staff
Size of staff just for Membership

CAPITAL CAMPAIGN/COMMUNITY PHASE
Briefly describe your capital campaign (purpose, goal, achieved to date,
structure, timeline).
How did the Community Phase of your campaign dovetail with your ongoing or
increased membership appeals?
How much was achieved during the Community Phase? How much of this was from
membership?
How did you extend your organization's reach into the community to increase
membership and campaign participation?

IMAX THEATER
What special promotions were conducted among membership (or the capital
campaign) for the IMAX Theater?
How many visitors does the IMAX attract annually? Do you have any statistics
on IMAX attendees becoming members or membership attendance at the IMAX?
Do members receive free IMAX tickets (if so, how many per year) or discount
tickets (how much of a discount)? Are there any other IMAX benefits for members?

SOFTWARE AND SYSTEMS
What fundraising software do you use?
Is your fundraising software compatible with your admissions desk/ticket
sales software?
How do you capture names and addresses for use in direct mail and other
marketing?

BROCHURES, MATERIALS
Would you send me any of your current membership brochures? Any materials on
your capital campaign?