From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:46:16 EDT

I really appreciate your points here Megan! Identifying and utilizing an
interns skills is very resourceful.

It goes without saying that your intern would have felt as though she was
contributing (because she was) and that her work was worthwhile, despite some of
 the seemingly tedious but necessary tasks. By allowing her the sense of
belonging and the importance of her work, she was motivated enough to  attend to
'boring' work, which then really wasn't!

And intern expects to learn and be challenged, and I agree with you that
some dissatisfaction is apt to arise as a result if they are not. My son was a
museum student intern for 3 1/2 years. He loved the environment but was often
bored, with nothing to do if there were no visitors (which often , there  were
not any).

The students were there on the weekends to have the museum open for
visitors, but it would have been great if they had more opportunities to learn  during
down time. They couldn't leave the designated areas they were assigned  to.
My son,  at least learned to gather whatever museum-related  publications were
on hand and learned by reading anything he could get his hands  on there.

I did the same thing when I first started working in a museum, and had
little training and basically had to teach myself. I was bored with the few
clerical tasks that were required of me. When I started learning about  museology,
while reading every newsletter and publication (over a decade's worth  of CRM)
and began researching issues I came across...within a month I was able  to
start being more productive and had countless projects, for which I was able  to
obtain assistance from other students (who would have otherwise been  bored).

So in addition to utilizing an interns skills - even if you really just  want
them to only attend to mundane tasks or don't have the time to spend with
them- provide them with an opportunity to learn and contribute.

Pam

In a message dated 9/8/2005 11:48:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,