From:
Richard de Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:04:19 -0400
Dear Lori,
    I think your question is something we should all think about.  Our
museum keeps about a year's worth of operating expenses in money market,
bond & stock funds, etc.  We try never to touch it.  But, for example,  last
year it made it possible to upgrade our technology base.  I've never heard
of a small museum having too much cash reserves.  Your County Government
should see those reserves as a sign of a well run institution that will make
careful use of the grants you are applying for.  Have trustees (does your
museum have an attorney?) personally contact the concerned officials.  Try
to have a respected and relatively uninvolved community leader make your
case for you.  If you spend down your hard won reserves you will not find
the county coming to your rescue in case of an emergency.

Richard de Koster
Executive Director
Constitution Island Association
at West Point