From:
VivianLea Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 15:58:56 -0400
Hi Nikki - A number of years ago, when working at a historical museum, I had
to 'process' a large collection of political & social organization
memorabilia.  There were a number of ribbons such as you described.  For the
more fragile items, we positioned them on acid-free mat board, and
encapsulated the ribbon and mat board with Mylar and double-sided tape.  It
restricts access to the reverse of the artifact, but allows for safer
handling of the artifact as the visibility of the object (vs. what you'd get
if you put it in a file folder) limits how much handling of it you do.  I
penciled the number on the upper corner of the mat board so it was readily
readable.

There are a couple things I'd do differently.  Before you encapsulate, make
sure you get good images of the front and back.  Also, I wrapped the Mylar
around the board, which started to come lose after a couple years.  Now, I
would cut two sheets of Mylar and totally encapsulate the board.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me.

Best, VivianLea

VivianLea Stevens

Curator

Old Barracks Museum