From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:49:33 -0700
Not only that, it may be VERY inaccurate.  I can tell
you why.

First, we don't know the specific age of the child in
the stroller.  Generally speaking, I've seen children
in strollers from infancy til about 4 years or so.
For some, it's the ability to accommodate a child who
couldn't otherwise walk or walk in a stable fashion.
For others, it's an issue of control.  Keeps Junior
from running off.

My grandchildren (2 and 4) just had their second trip
to the Norton Simon here in Pasadena, California,
about a month ago.  They were just as impressed with
it this round as they were before (about a year ago).
Course I was pretty impressed they could keep their
hands off and use indoor voices, but then I scared
them good about Museum Security (LOL--Security Man is
watching YOU!).

They remembered art they had seen the year prior.  The
picture of David and Goliath was as big a draw to the
4-year old as it was a year ago.  It's almost
magnetic.  And he could remember the names of Adam and
Eve instantly from the pictures.  He also got new
words this time, Proto-Renaissance, Plate Halo, and
Triptych (big words but simple enough concepts to
absorb, word at a time).

She remembered the ballerinas of Degas.  The
statuettes reminded her of her Barbies.

When we left the gallery, toward the end of the
evening, I asked them which piece they liked best.
His response was that he liked Walking Man (Rodin, no
head will do it to a 4-year old).

Her response?  "I like Boot-ah."  I had to think about
it.  Then I remembered, the Eastern art and statues of
Buddha.

Never underestimate the impact of great works on small
minds!