From:
Becky Shields <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:41:20 -0500
Hi all,

Perhaps my input is not so helpful, but I'm not sure it's a Plato quote.
Sounds nothing like the guy to me based on readings of Gorgias, Symposium,
and The Republic.  Who knows, could be in another work, but it really
doesn't sound like Plato's style.

A thought, though - Plato typically channels Socrates and writes almost
exclusively in the Socratic dialogues.  Quotes may come from other speakers
in his works - for instance, the famous passage about people originally
being two beings fused into one before the gods split them in two was
written by Plato but was actually spoken by Aristophanes in the Symposium.
Perhaps the quote was written by Plato as the words of a different person?

Becky

Curatorial Fellow
The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art
5401 Bay Shore Road
Sarasota, Florida 34243