From:
Roger Wulff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:52:20 -0500
Dear Tracy:

You ask:

I would like to solicit some input from the listserv on security issues
for museum structures.  Our facility includes a number of smaller
structures in addition to our main building, which house exhibits.  For
example, we have a summer kitchen, barn, general store, etc.  I am
investigating the possibility of extending security systems to these
structures and the cost-effectiveness of such an effort.

I don't know what kind of responce you have gotten to your inquiry but I
have not noticed any coming across the Museum-L since you posted.

Museum security and museum fire protection (I do hope you are also
considering extending fire protection to the smaller buildings) are
highly complicated areas which are technology rich (and the technology
seems to change on a monthly basis).  Any responces you may recieve or
have recieved may not be the best solution to your particlular
protection needs and concerns.

The best solution I can recommend is to have a planning tool known as a
Museum Protection Survey completed at your institution by a qualified
organization (and, yes MSI does Protection Surveys).  This survey will
examine your protection policies, procedures and protection systems
presently in use by your institution, make recommendations for
improvement and explore the various ways (technology - with its related
costs) to do so.

For instance, your present security system may not be capable of
expansion to the smaller buildings.

Please contact me for additional details.

Kind Regards

Roger Wulff

Founder and Manager of the Trade Show of Security and Fire Protection
products and services held in conjunction with "The National Conference
On Cultural Property Protection" sponsored each year by the Smithsonian
Institution - next year is our 25th conference.

Visit our NEW "ONLINE" MUSEUM BOOKSTORE AND
TREAT YOURSELF TO A BOOK - VISIT OUR NEW "ONLINE"
INTERNATIONAL CRAFT SHOP AND ASSIST THE CULTURES
WHICH PRODUCED THOSE OBJECTS

at:     http://www.MuseumServicesIntl.org

Museum Services International is a non-profit organization which
provides services in all areas of the planning and development of
cultural institutions and museums - especially in the new area of
"Economuseology."