From:
George Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:00:08 -0500
Rebecca,

The museum field in general is very polarized – like the rest of the
country – and the majority of museum employees are would probably
consider themselves or their beliefs "liberal."

I had an experience at the last AAM that emphaiszed that point. There
was a large audience of mostly exhibit developers. The commentator
asked, "How many of you believe we live in an extrememly polarized
country?" Almost every hand shot up. "Okay, how many of you voted for
the current president?" Only a few hands remained in the air – the rest
shot down. The point, of course, was that the country is split almost
right down the middle, and the two sides are very far apart from each
other. But we museum folk are trying to reach /all /audiences, and we
have to be aware of that.

That said, Rebecca, I think the posters who commented about Mr. Bottoms
article are not intolerant of different views. They are intolerant of
the bigotry and hatred seething throughout Mr. Bottoms' message. This is
not intolerance of a different point of view - this is a reaction
against an ugly, reactionary article that does more harm to this great
country and its many diverse people than the supposed threats the writer
outlined.

Rebecca, I'll discuss issues with someone of a different point of view
any day. I enjoy the discussion. It flexes my mental muscles. :) It's an
excercise in intelligent, productive, thoughtful disagreement. And I
will disagree with people. And we'll argue, and yell, and feel
passionate about our views. But I'll respect the person with an opposing
view afterwards.

Rebecca, I hope I've made the difference clear. Thoughtful, tolerant,
and respectful disagreement between different people is healthy and
great and encouraged. Mr. Bottoms' post promoted hatred, intolerance,
and racism. I cannot respect Mr. Bottoms' post, and I'm not ashamed of
the incredibly angry reaction against it. In fact, I'd be afraid if
there wasn't.

With all respect,
George

--
George Garner
Director of Exhibitions

--------

Celebrate Founders Month in August at the Center for History with a
visit to the exhibitions, From Southold to South Bend and New Order on
the Land.