From:
Jane Bedno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:05:51 -0500
on 10/22/02 7:07 PM, Derek Monz at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Is Anyone on the list currently working in or just interested in the field
> of museum history between 1900 and 1945. I am interested in this period
> around the world. I am specifically thinking of the history and operations
> of particular museums and the ways they were inlfuenced by and interacted
> with the many groups who used or did not use the museum.
>
> if you want to have a chat about it in more detail you can contact me off
> list or just let me know via the list where/how to contact you.
>
> cheers,
>
> Derek.
> Faculty of Arts/Social Sciences
> University oi=f the Sunshine Coast,
> Queensland, Australia

A new organization/interest group on museum history was organized last year,
and will be holding a meeting next spring for anyone interested in the
group.  The association has also formed a list for those who wish to receive
its notices.

Jane Bedno

From: Jeffrey Abt <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, October 19, 2002 10:56 AM
Subject: Meeting

Hi all,

        This is to let you know that New York University and Wayne State
University are co-sponsoring a first formal meeting of the Association for
Museum History (AMH) in late February 2003.  It will be a part-day affair,
from around 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and will take place on the campus of NYU
before or after the College Art Association (CAA) annual conference which is
also in New York this year.  Bruce Altshuler, Director of NYU's Museum
Studies Program and I are coordinating the meeting, although we will be
grateful to have the assistance of others.
        For now we would like your opinion about the best day for the
meeting.  We are considering either the Wednesday before or Sunday following
the CAA conference, i.e., February 19th or February 23rd, to enable the
participation of those traveling to New York for the CAA meetings.
        I'll be following up this note with a few more concerning the AMH
meeting agenda.  At the moment we are thinking of a two-part schedule: one
would consist of either a few papers or a moderated panel discussion on the
state of museum history research; the other would consist of planning
sessions (sequential or concurrent) to create an organizational plan for the
AMH and elicit volunteers to help bring it about.  So please give the
questions of content and schedule some thought -- I'll be following up with
more specific questions as we move along.

        Finally, if you have a response concerning the date of the meeting,
please reply to the listserv address ([log in to unmask]) rather than in a
note to my or Bruce's personal e-mail addresses -- we'd like to have this
conversation be open to all.

        Best wishes,

        J.