From:
Jane Bedno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:01:34 -0500
The perception that women are in the vast majority in museum professional
employment is, I am sure (from observation at AAM if nothing else), true.
The related assumption that men are in this position due to discrimination
against them is, from my own experience, false.  Every year, I look at the
hiring experience of the graduates of our museum studies programs.  I have
consistently found that, when two graduates have equally strong credentials,
the male applicant will be offered the job first, the female only after the
man has turned it down, and (where I am aware of the details) the male
applicant has often been offered the job initially at a higher salary than
is then offered to the female applicant.

Jane Bedno
Co-chair, Museum Studies, The University of the Arts