From:
Jay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 22:09:44 -0400
On April 9, Sandra Harris wrote:

I agree- while in the Museum Studies grad program at Arizona State I
completed 2 unpaid semester long (20 hrs per week) internships one year,
worked full time and took additional courses. I am certainly not
superwoman, so I have a hard time understanding where the complaints come
from about unpaid internships as the required courses they are in grad
school. We all just accepted it when we read the program description!!

The world of academics and non-profits will never compensate in dollars as
some other segments of sociey do. The value system is completely different.
Yes, you have to pay to obtain a degree. You will have no free time and eat
Top Ramen noodles every day.  You will go into debt. So be it. Elena is
right- it's an investment in yourself and from reading this thread I think
perhaps an excellent weeding out process for those who can't handle a
lifetime of service without large monetary reward.
****

I wonder if you felt that way while you suffering, going broke, getting
deeper and deeper into debt and wondering if it would all work out.

I think that most people in the world of museums are intelligent, dedicated
individuals who know that the pot at the end of the rainbow is by no means
full of gold.  As to making "unpaid internships" a good "weeding out"
process--I think you missed part of the point of this thread.  Not everyone
who hopes for a career in the museum field has the economic wherewithal to
take on a 3, 6, or 9 month unpaid internship.

I too had my share of unpaid experiences, and yes, I do feel that I paid my
dues to earn the position I'm in.  However, if I want to a top-notch intern
to come to Kansas to work in our museum I do not want to see that intern
suffer because he or she can't find enough funding to make a car payment.
 Likewise, if a student at the local community college wants some experience
and I have a good project in mind--it makes fiscal sense to provide training
rather than compensation.

I would not be so bold or egotistical to think that I'm doing the museum
field a service by "weeding out" interns who desire compensation for their
services.  Wake up Sandra!!!

Jay Smith
Reno County Museum
Hutchinson, Kansas

Usual disclaimers--opinions expressed are mine, not necessarily that of my
employer.