From:
Curtis Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:28:15 -0600
Laurie,

The schedules are rather informal, just a guideline.  They go something
like, "artifacts selected/cleaned 2 months before exhibit opening,
furniture built by a month before D-day, photos selected/printed/mounted 3
weeks out," etc.  Naturally, with several exhibits being planned and
worked on at any given time, these schedules are sort of interlaced with
many other things going on at the museum.  This complexity naturally leads
to change and chaos; they say that's good for you..

One of our biggest issues is label text, which must be approved by our
director before labels are created.  We plan to get these to the director
well in advance, but as label text writing and editing is THE hardest
thing, they usually don't get done until the very last, regardless of
where they are in the "schedule!"  We are grateful that our director is
flexible and very good natured.

Our schedules don't work every time either!  Things do change, and the
plan must also change; flexibility is key.  As time goes by I realize
either I'm getting slower or my sense of how long things take really
sucks.  Either way I'm inclined to take my best guess and pad liberally.

Some exhibits are changed right in front of people in public spaces,
others are roped off.  The two weeks mentioned only applies to the big
exhibits we change periodically in the main hall, those are closed off
(but we leave holes in the curtain for folks to peek).  Is it a mad dash?
Yes it is, and I'm trying to plan better so I don't have to dash as hard.
We ain't getting any younger.

Curtis

  _____