From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:22:40 -0800
Actually, I'm not sure you're stirring the pot.  There
are some who will use their disability as an
entitlement.  A disability is not an excuse for rude
behavior (except where there's a mental health aspect
to be considered).

But most PWD are not that way at all.  They don't want
the "poor pitiful you" stigma that comes with the
discount as well.  It goes to a value judgment about a
person, but it subjects the disability community to
discrimination.

It's been interesting through the years to learn of
the biases within the disabled community, one to
another.  The problem is that most people can see and
understand that there may be restrictions of sorts
when they see a cane, or a wheelchair.  You can't see
back pain, or balance problems, or intermittent mental
health problems.  They're not as obvious, though the
person is no less disabled.

Listen, as crazy as it may seem to infuse this ito the
thread, we're on fire out here in California
everywhere you look.  Though they are out of town in
TN, my folks are residents of Lake Arrowhead and may
lose their home imminently.

If you pray to anything or anyone, please be so kind.
It looks like nuclear winter out here, and countless
people have been affected.  It's making a lot of
people "sketchy."

--- Jean MacDougall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The aide as a "necessary 'device'"?! *shudder* You
> bring up a good
> point, Annmarie. But if this man is treating his
> aide as a tool, like a
> wheelchair or a cane - not a living, breathing,
> thinking, feeling person
> who might actually enjoy and learn from the exhibit
> too - then should he
> be permitted into the museum at all? His attitude
> toward his aide is
> insulting. The Cradle of Aviation Museum was being
> incredibly generous
> in giving them passes. I think he's just cheap and
> accustomed to using
> his disability to bully people into giving him what
> he wants.
>
> Stirring the pot,
> Jean
>

> ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~
> Jean MacDougall
> Collections Manager
> de Saisset Museum
> Santa Clara University
> 500 El Camino Real
> Santa Clara, CA 95053-0550
> 408.554.4528 tel
> 408.554.7840 fax
> www.scu.edu/desaisset
> ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~ ` ~

> Very interesting question! Our museum is free to the
> public so we don't
> run into that problem but I would think by offering
> a discount to both
> parties you are being more than fair. If the
> gentleman in question
> really wants to be treated equally and considers his
> aide a necessary
> "device" you could let the aide in free and charge
> full price for the
> gentleman. I would also ask him directly what other
> organizations he
> knows of that offer both the discount and free
> admission. I bet he could
> not tell you any. Keep us posted
>
> Annmarie

> Important Subscriber Information:
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed
> information about the listserv commands by sending a
> one line e-mail
> message to [log in to unmask] . The body
> of the message should
> read "help" (without the quotes).
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message
> to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
> message should read

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414