From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:59:02 -0800
Well, I do believe there is a forum for such discussions, and I would
encourage you to take your concerns there.  It's the Copyediting list
to which I also subscribe.  I'd be more than happy to provide you with
the instructions for enrollment.

Because of the 5,000 lists to which I'm presently enrolled (a gross
exaggeration, but I think it's in the ballpark of 25+), I have taken
to simply collecting the CEL (copyediting) posts and scan through them
as time allows, extracting the gems for future reference.  They are a
prolific lot, with a 250 a day limit.  Sometimes they really come
close to that number.

To avoid the fanny-in-the-fire syndrome, I have just allowed those
posts to collect because the list is highly moderated.  I can tell
when a challenging thread has gone by because the posts could
wallpaper a skyscraper.  That N thread went by for the last couple of
weeks.  I'm still on September 18, so, when I get to it, I will
hopefully be calm enough to address it.

If you feel strongly enough about the issue, please consider getting
the enrollment information.

As a Caucasian female with two grown triracial children and two grown
triracial grandchildren, and as someone who is one of the "O.G.'s" of
interracial relationships (wasn't the first, but did it long enough
ago to have some genuine understanding of the cultural differences and
issues), trust me, it pushes the envelope and trounces on the toes of
many.

We all may know the difference.  But until you've had to live a life
where culture demeaned you by saying that other N word, the scars of
the phonetics are painful.

It may be the best word for the definition of stingy.  But
language--especially the English language--is constantly in flux.  If
a word in its pronunciation can be painful to others and injurious to
the relationships with same, why in the world would you not invent
ANOTHER word, transfer the meaning, and retire the other?

Now, before you pshaw the thought, new words are introduced all the
time.  Just this weekend, I was doing some catchup reading from the
list.  Would you like me to retrieve the sampling that demonstrates
this point?

Very simply, what did the word email mean to you in 1965?

---"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Beyond the fact that we are really supposed to be discussing museum
things,
> why would we not engage in a discussion of whether or not to dumb
down the
> language.  The word in question has always been in my vocabulary
==
Indigo Nights