From:
Cindy Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:31:11 -0500
Carol Ely's letter "Re: Museum loss more shocking than human loss? a
clarification" expresses very eloquently what I have been thinking and
trying to say.

Deb wrote: "But on the flip side, many hundreds of societies and cultures
have existed
without museums. Are they on a "lesser level" than societies with museums?"

Of course not!  I was stating, perhaps not clearly enough, that I think one
of the roles of museums throughout the world, is to preserve cultural
history particularly of conquered and transfigured societies, and allow
access to public to understand history and cultures more, one outcome
potentially being appreciation and reverance leading to preservation, rather
than future destruction of these societies, and prevent repetition of
historical atrocities. I also feel that they shed light on multiple
perspectives of what occurred in human history at any given time.  I
apologize to everyone for being redundant, but apparently I was not clearly
understood.

Deb, I think it's fair to ask if you think that the "subsistence" societies
are on a lesser level, in your comparison of societies of humans to
societies of dogs?  That was my question to you entirely in the first place,
why you bring "dogs" into this discussion, as I don't quite see the
connection.  You/your theatre instructor compared what dogs do or don't
have/do with people, so I wondered if you feel that is a reasonable
guideline for all that we should/should not have in our lives and society
today. . . I'll extend this list beyond theatre/museums/war to: should
dogs/we have modern medicine, various advances in technology, access to
quality well-rounded education, music, dance, folk art, freedom of religion
and spirituality, freedom of speech, self-governing, protection of
environment and ways of life, and access to many various forms of
information, not only from one-sided well-funded government endorsed
information from media monopolies (which are oft quoted in this list BTW).

I will also add: should dogs/we have SUV's, TV's, cell phones, computers,
nuclear weapons, corporate welfare and tax breaks. . . You can see that now
that this is a ridiculous comparison and line of thought.  Nothing to do
with any societies being at lesser/higher levels, more about quality of
life. A society as we would know it, sans the arts, would be not simply less
grand, it would be bleak and less informed and with less soul and room for
contemplation of the past, who we are and have been and freedom of
self-expression, and potential to learn from our mistakes.  I recommend you
read Guns, Germs and Steel if you haven't.  I also recommend book "Power
Play" by Arundati Roy.

 Deb wrote: "Some societies have survived thousands of years remaining
virtually unchanged solely oral histories and folk traditions. While I think
civilization will be less grand without museums, it will certainly survive."

I very much acknowledge and appreciate that "some" societies have survived
thus, and hope that they continue to do so.  I suspect that there are not
many left, but I could be wrong.  How many societies have not survived or
barely survived as such, due to conquering and destruction of the past
(languages, religion, history, folk traditions) and are struggling to regain
former ways of life?  And luckily anyone in the world can learn about the
ones that are gone via museums. How many cultures and their traditions have
become assimilated or have been attempted to be assimilated if not destroyed
by entities with advanced technologies?  These things I lament and that is
partially why I choose to write what I do.

Museums help us to understand so many of the societies past and present and
in every corner of the world, even though only being in existence between
200 and 500 years ago, and perhaps in ancient Greece and Rome (others on
this list know the answer to your question far better than I -- the oldest
one that I could find on a quick search was the Uffizi Gallery in Florence,
1581, but perhaps there are older?)

I agree that civilization will "survive", but at what level?  What will the
quality of education and life be without museums, film, music and other
arts?  Without museums, exhibits, the arts in our consumer society,
knowledge and values may change in ways that leave us spiritually and
emotionally bereft.  While some societies don't have museums, also they
don't have consumerism at the levels we do! They don't have multi-national
corporations (but coming soon!)  I feel that museums and the arts in general
serve as a place in the rapidly changing world to preserve cultural memory
and ways of life, as opposed to potential spreading of homogenity.  I
believe/hope that many, if not most institutions today are for the
collection, preservation and academic study of a culture, not just a
collection of artifacts to show off just how wealthy and powerful you really
are.  The latter does not fit the categories of which I speak.

 Deb wrote: "On a related note, how long have formal museums been in
existance? I'm talking about insitutions for the collection, preservation
and academic study of a culture, not just a collection of artifacts to show
off just how wealthy and powerful you really are to those around you (aka
"stuff size wars". :) I figure that the Greeks and Romans probably had some
form of museums but that "modern" museums are a relatively recent thing -
like within the past 200 years or so.  Just curious."

I am curious as to what you view the role of your museum and museums in
general in today's society. Do you really not feel it worthy cause to
support their protection and survival in a wartorn country or damaged
economy, as it seems?

Cindy