From:
Robert B Hole Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:42:19 -0800
Mario,

This is an exciting idea. The Natural Science Collections Alliance
(http://www.nscalliance.org/) has produced "Dinosaurs to DNA", a program
promoting natural history collections that could be a useful starting point
for something like you suggest. Perhaps AAM or other large organization
could be worked with to provide such evangelical tools.

For individual museums though, the best evangelists are the outreach
program presenters, the volunteers and the staff themselves.

Especially volunteers. if volunteers have t-shirts or some other type of
informal "uniform" they can feel comfortable wearing around town, they can
become an army of evangelism. They're usually (or should be) enthusiastic
about their museum (or they wouldn't volunteer there) and are pretty
knowledgeable (or should be) about the organization.

They should all be prepared to respond to basic questions about where they
volunteer. At the least all volunteers at every museum should know location
and weekly hours!!!

For museums in general local or national museum associations could fulfill
the general role of evangelist - whether actually hiring someone or having
their organizational volunteers doing some promotion of museums to tourist
boards and the like.

Just a could ideas.

Bob

Robert B Hole Jr

Museum Educator/Curator currently seeking employment
www.biologybase.com/resume/default.htm