From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:07:44 -0700
David,

You really need to talk to who ever is managing the disaster response
and recovery effort there (is a staff conservator part of the response
team?) as well as talking to a knowledgable photographic conservator
(perhaps someone at the Library of Congress) who has been through this
before. I personally would not open the doors and expose these
negatives to a blast of warm, humid air until you are prepared to
rehouse them appropriately as soon as the doors are opened. Can you
get a generator running to restore power to those freezer units?

You can also contact Historic Preservation, that produces that
wonderful disaster response wheel, for advice as well as The
Washington Conservation Guild that may have a disaster response
contact list for just this sort of event. Also the AIC office
(American Institute for Conservation) is located in Washington
(202-452-9545) and they can certainly refer you to a knowledgable
conservator for advice. Many regional conservation guilds will be very
helpful in Disaster Response and should be on everyone's emergency
contact list anywhere in the USA.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey