From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2015 10:06:45 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium,
read weekly since 1998 by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   " I love Global Museum! I pull stories for my weekly email to our
docents and they enjoy them too. My colleagues even asked to know where I
found them because the stories are so interesting. " - User Feedback   ***

Four Pages of the Latest Museum News & Free Online subscription.
http://www.globalmuseum.org

**  The Prado and a New Royal Museum Duel Over Paintings

If he is waiting to have the paintings in his place, he has to wait until
hell freezes over says Prado's Chairman

**  Botched Repair Ruins Priceless Roman Mosaics in Turkey

Restoration work on a series of Roman mosaics in Turkey dating from the 2nd
century to the 6th century has gone horribly wrong thanks to a botched
repair job at the Hatay Archaeological Museum in the southern city of
Antakya

**  The Tretyakov gallery targeted by investigators in paintings scam probe

In one of the most high-profile scandals to hit Russia's art world in recent
years, the powerful Investigative Committee has launched a probe into
paintings allegedly smuggled out of the country after experts from the
Tretyakov Gallery assessed them at a fraction of their true price

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 3,754?

Our Community on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social
Network - Meet& Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum,
Join A Group.

Become one of our first 4,000 members.  Join Today at
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  The Penis Worm was a fearsome Cambrian period predator with teeth like a
cheese grater

Studies of Penis Worm fossils from the Burgess Shale, a great depositary of
Cambrian era fossils in Canada, have revealed it could turn its mouth
inside-out to expose a tooth-lined throat that looked like a cheese grater

**  Massive tomb complex discovered in Beijing suburb

The 129 tombs, which were found in the Daxing district of the city, contain
human skeletons, pottery, porcelain and lacquerware as well as small
funerary gifts

**  Fear of censorship fuels debate over cash from oil industry

Critics say that institutions broke ties with tobacco and arms manufacturers
in decades past and should now take an ethical stand against the fossil-fuel
industry

**  Stolen LS Lowry paintings traded as 'currency' and 'collateral' by
criminal gangs

Works of art seized in a smash and grab raid nearly ten years ago at a
Cheshire gallery are probably being passed between drug bosses as a form of
"collateral"

_______________

Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum

125K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,263 Followers worldwide and
growing fast

________________

**  Tourists break piece off priceless 'Statue of the two Hercules' in Italy
while trying to take a selfie

Two tourists have managed to break off a piece of a priceless Italian statue
which smashed to the floor after they tried to climb it and take a selfie

**  Ancient Copy of Ten Commandments Has First Showing in Israel

A 2,000-year-old copy of the Ten Commandments - the oldest known complete
version - has gone on display for the first time in Israel

**  'Monuments Men' group returns historic paintings taken after World War
II

The family of an American tank commander who won three historic paintings
playing poker during World War II returned the stolen art treasures their
rightful owners

**  Microbes found at bottom of ocean are our long-lost relatives

An entirely new group of organisms discovered at the bottom of the Arctic
Ocean are our closest simple-celled relatives ever found

_____________

Become a Facebook Follower -  Join 1,981 of  us who Like Global Museum on
Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

_____________

**  Dear Artists: Putting Food Coloring In A Beloved Natural Geyser Is A
Crime

We've said it before and we'll say it again -- but hopefully, not too many
more times -- artists: please don't make Mother Nature your canvas

**  Feathery fossils peg early birds to even earlier date

Scientists in China have described a new species of early bird, from two
fossils with intact plumage dating to 130 million years ago

**  New York City Museum Honors Earthquake-Stricken Nepal With Special
Installation

When a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit Nepal on April 25, staff and curators at
New York City's Rubin Museum sprang into action to honor the country's
cultural and religious heritage that many feared would be lost in the
disaster

**  Museum professionals have to meet higher demands due to cuts

The majority (65%) of museum professionals said that management had placed
greater demands on them as a result of funding cuts, according to research
conducted by the Museums Journal

__

Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!

1,363 Pins, 285 Followers http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

__

**  Whitney Museum Hangs Jackson Pollock Painting the Wrong Way

We initially planned to install it horizontally, but we felt it had a
greater sense of scale when you turn it vertically

Japanese American Museum Acquires Internee Artifacts

It's truly fitting that this material will reside in perpetuity at an
institution dedicated to sharing the Japanese-American experience and based
on the West Coast, the site of the evacuation

At museums, selfie sticks poke holes in the idea of anything goes

How is it that we ended up with one big idea governing museums, and such a
self-destructive one?

Dislocating the Powerhouse

For some twenty-five years the museum has struggled to demonstrate a sense
of institutional coherence in terms of what it does, what its collection is
about, what its audience is and how it communicates its mission and purpose

__

Add Us To Your Google+ Circles - 170,927  in Circles.   6,734 in Community
so far - https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

__

**  Ghostly Voices From Thomas Edison's Dolls Can Now Be Heard

For years, the dolls sat side by side inside a display cabinet, bearers of a
message from the dawn of sound recording that nobody could hear

**  From Aerostats to Drones: aerial imagery in Archaeology

2nd International Conference of Aerial Archaeology

**  Explore Children's Education in Museums at the 10th International Hands
On! Conference

13 - 16 October 2015, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

**  Fighting as One: Reminders of the Eight Years' War of Resistance in
Guangdong and Hong Kong

Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence

**  This Week's Horoscope

Cancer - The stars will wait patiently while you look up the album art for
Ted Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever, because they want you to know exactly what
you look like to them.

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
PINTEREST PINS, BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting
their RESUMES, SOCIAL MEDIA, the GM LinkedIn Network, Museum Accredited
Courses - New News & Opportunities Daily!  http://www.globalmuseum.org.