From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 14:47:08 -0400
Probably the biggest reason for a decrease in school tours is lack of
connection with mandated academic standards. It's not enough just to expose
kids to history or art, etc. The standards must be intentionally addressed,
and mastered. Gone are the days when field trips were simply an educational
excuse to get out of the school building.

We've actually seen a large (200% increase) in our school tours as a result
of closely tying our school tours to local curriculum standards - and
advertising them as such. We bill ourselves as a partner in helping our
schools and students achieve at high levels.

Virtually all of the states' curriculum standards are available online. I
would suggest that every museum find a group of teachers who can help you
tweak your existing tours to more closely align with the curriculum
standards.

Becky Fitzgerald
Susquehanna Museum