From:
Richard Chute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:27:29 -0800
Hank and others are raising some good, although perhaps uncomfortable,
questions about the funding of museums and culture more generally.  There
is always a tension between where the money comes from and how it is used
in any non-profit organization--whether the money comes from admission
fees, the government (federal, state or local), membership fees, annual
appeals, wealthy individuals, corporations, foundations, cross-promotional
marketing deals, etc.  I guess some people feel that the agenda and
motivations of type of supporter are more "pure" than another.  This is
probably the case.

Well, I once fought for several years to get a controversial exhibition
funded by NEH, and the then head of NEH resisted because of a personal
political agenda.  Elsewhere, I've heard tales of membership groups who
were like a "tail wagging the dog" because they were unhappy with some
program or policy and threatened to pull funding.  Hey, what does it mean
when people won't buy admission tickets and demonstrate their unwillingness
to support your exhibition (the one you worked for years developing, and
that everyone needs to see because of the incredibly valuable objects and
cultural perspectives that it imparts)?

True, there's no such thing as being a little bit pregnant.  But I think we
are all already pregnant, aren't we?

Believe it or not, many of us fundraisers *do* have ethics, and the best
way to resist being overwhelmed by some donor or supporter's agenda is to
have a clear mission, a well-developed strategic plan, and good supporting
information on why you have made the choices that you have.  Going a step
further, its even important to have staff match their program objectives
and activities with the mission and plan (I know a few museum professionals
who pursue individual agendas, too).

Perhaps the real issues underlying this this thread are:  1) the shock that
all of us are going through because long-standing funding patterns are
undergoing change; and 2) we're all tired of seeing what big dollars are
doing to political campaigns and governmental decision-making.  Yup, there
are going to be a lot of tough decisions ahead of us that will test our
moral will (e.g., deciding not to accept that $1 million donation from ABC
company that's involved in XYZ scandal).  So some of us will perhaps do a
better job of resisting these temptations than others, but I don't think
I'll be too quick to judge others until a lot more people start writing
REALLY big checks for unrestricted annual support for our Botanic Garden.

Richard Chute ([log in to unmask])          Director of Development

Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden         1500 North College Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711
Phone:  (909) 625-8767, ext. 222        FAX:  (909) 626-7670