From:
Dan Rouser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:46:12 -0500
My friend Bob Hamrick has another thought on the subject-

Dan:

Here's the first place I'd look if I was thinking about focus groups/
consumer research:

Jim Chastain
Reality Check
314.909.9095
Realitycheckinc.com

Jim does a good job of describing his unique approach to consumer
research on his site so I won't screw it up by paraphrasing it. He
did several sessions for SHS when I was with them. The one I remember
best was for an asthma medication. Instead of simply asking our group
of people with asthma what they thought or how they responded to
predictable questions, he used a series of innovative approaches. At
one point, he told them to imagine they were going on a trip with
their asthma, and who/what would they take along? Their answers gave
us an incredible window into how the dealt with their disease. Most
notably, not one respondent even mentioned taking their doctor(s)
with them. They saw the disease as their own, individual struggle
that only occasionally came into contact with the medical profession.
It was an insight that made a difference in how we talked to the
audience, and wouldn't have happened under the question-response
format most sessions use.

I highly recommend him.

Bob Hamrick.