From:
Louisa Watrous <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:14:16 -0400
We use the Pickerell "Negotiating Stock Photo Prices" book and an old
ASMP guide for quoting fees.

We deal with quite a few repeat customers, so we've established a set of
rates for them which apply every time. I usually ask what they generally
pay in order to get to a basis that works for their budget and to
encourage them to come back again.

Very often, we waive or seriously reduce license fees for sister
institutions and worthy "mission" oriented projects and charge a staff
administration fee of $30-$50 for processing the order or just ask for
credit.

We rarely waive reproduction fees, as they represent a cost to us. We do
re-purpose existing scans and that's a boost to revenue.

Other consideration we sometimes ask for if we're waiving or reducing
fees:

* publication of a short promotional piece about a given collection,
e.g. our Rosenfeld Collection (www.rosenfeldcollection.org
<http://www.rosenfeldcollection.org/> ) or the Museum itself - we call
this our "evergreen language"

* with the copyright notice/photo credit, publication of our website and
collections email address

For purely PR and promotional uses, we usually waive everything and just
get the credit. We work in concert with our Communications Dept. on
this.

It's a constant balance between "mission" and "market" considerations,
but the overall test I use is to ask if it's "commercially reasonable"
in sharing the financial costs involved and looking at what
consideration is exchanged.

Louisa Watrous
Intellectual Property Manager
MYSTIC SEAPORT
The Museum of America and the Sea
75 Greenmanville Ave., P.O. Box 6000
Mystic, CT 06355 USA
Tel: 860-572-5383, ext. 4703 / Fax: 860-572-5328
URLs: www.mysticseaport.org /
www.rosenfeldcollection.org