From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:30:03 -0500
The following was posted to the ALHFAM list by Lynne Belluscio, and I
share it here for those who are not on that list.

Martha Katz-Hyman
Independent Curator
************************
Since we could not get listed on the New York State Thruway exit signs
because our exit is to another interstate (Federal law), we searched
for a billboard facing the eastbound Thruway traffic. We found one and
contacted  Viacom (now CBS) for the rates.  We could not afford the
monthly fees, so we  partnered with the county tourism group, the
local McDonalds, Burger King,  Subway, three campgrounds, the local
business council and a local  restaurant.  As a result, it cost us
each $75 per month which is a doable  advertising cost.  We included
the logos for MacDonalds, Subway, and  Burger King as well as the "I
Love
New York" logo and mentioned that there were  five campgrounds at the
next exit and, of course, the Jell-O  Museum.  We signed a three year
contract that included a painting redo.  The billboard wasn't even
finished, and we had people stop by and tell us that they saw the
billboard. We have a sign in our gift shop that asks,  "Did you see
our billboard?"

We think it has been very successful and affordable for everyone.  The
 design is VERY important.

The only problem we have experienced, is that the company changed and
they never repainted this last March and have not responded to our
emails and phone calls, and at this time the billboard looks terrible
and we have refused to pay  for the billboard since last March.  We
are looking into another billboard
with another company at this point because we know it works for  us.