From:
Star Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:32:30 +0100
Dear All,

> Our marketing & development departments are interested in instituting
> visitor tracking software that would initially provide visitor information
> based on a Membership Card scan (either magnetic or barcode) for members
or
> zip code entry by admissions for non-members.

Please remember to accommodate visitors from outside of North America whose
zip codes might not conform to the North American standard.

May I also take a moment to ask us all to keep this theme in mind when
constructing web pages?

For example, it usually is not possible to call North American toll-free
numbers from abroad, and foreign phone numbers often do not conform to the
format of North American phone numbers, so if the phone number is a required
field it is impossible to complete any sign-up form in process. Please also
remember to include country codes and local prefixes, and it would be
especially helpful if all museums were to put a list of all their cultural
and office staff, with how to contact them (including fax and e-mail--even
if of a secretary), on the web site. This information may be obtained easily
locally, but often is exceptionally difficult to find from abroad, and
costly printed directories are not always available, either.

Thank you,

Star Meyer
Bagatti Valsecchi Museum, Milan, Italy
http://www.museobagattivalsecchi.org