From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:22:02 -0800
On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Melanie Solomon wrote:

> I think it is essential that we show exhibits don't just spontaneously
> appear, that it takes a lot of people with a lot of talents to produce the
> "show."  Including a credit panel that acknowledges the professional effort
> that went into the exhibit is a win-win-win situation for the institution,
> the staff/volunteers, and the visitor.

Furthermore, it makes the finished product visible to museum visitors as
the work of real people, rather than some disembodied "authority."  If we
are to find real dialogue on ideas in our communities, we must do it on a
people-people relationship, rather than a people-institutional relationship.
The latter dissolves into vapor (ever tried to hold the people in a
corporation responsible for corporate decisions?)

Richard Perry
UC San Diego