From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:27:50 -0800
Hi Laurie,

Thanks for asking. No scholarly or academic information that I know of,
about a deep rooted or even biologically based inclination to collect, but
there certainly could be.I haven't looked other than incidentally.

My hypothesis is, I think, born of doing some archeology a long time ago and
finding things like beautiful stones or pebbles, very unusually shaped
stones and the like, that bore no evidence of deliberate shaping, and were
not a material being used for tool making but because of the nature of the
surrounding geography or geology could not have gotten there by any other
means than having been brought in by human hands.

It would be an interesting thing to study, actually, but I suppose it would
mean scouring hundreds of archeological site reports, and who knows whether
the reporting archeologists would have even mentioned items that were not
recognizably artifacts or raw material.  Many of them probably would not
unless there were a substantial number found.

Any other archeologists out there who want to weigh in?

Lucy

  _____