From:
"Frank E. Thomson, III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 09:30:15 -0400
While I think no one has any theoretical arguments against paying artists,
for most smaller art museums the issue is one of balancing limited
resources.  My first priority in assembling an exhibition is to cover all
direct expenses--crating, shipping, bringing the artist(s) down; next to do
a printed piece of some kind and then if funds remain, paying a fee to the
artist.

There are a number of issues that should be considered re artists fees.
First, given a limited budget, what is of more benefit to the artist and the
institution, fees or a publication?  Second, and linking to the discussion
about the article in the New York Times, if a fee of $1000.00 or more is
expected for an artist to exhibit in a museum, will this not further
increase the tendency suggested in the article to move to better known
artists, particularly deceased artists, at the expense of younger and lesser
known artists.

In a better world, museum staff would be well paid and artists reimbursed
for their activities.  But then what would our volunteers say about their
work?

Frank E. Thomson, III
Curator, Asheville Art Museum