From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:36:51 EDT

This is a simple and justifiable request that you and/or others have made.
For whatever reason, the docents feel compelled to continue this practice that
they have been informed to discontinue. Why? Are they being defiant and if
so,  for what reason?

Without knowing the underlying cause for this, it is difficult to offer
advice. But if I may then assume that they were allowed to in the past and
therefore are reluctant to change...this is going to require some behavior
modification. Included in this should be the re-training you wish to do and  providing
the docents with any documentation (technical leaflets, etc)  pertaining to
collections care management that address the particular  issues requiring these
areas to be restricted.

It is important not to single out just the 'offenders' so make sure that  all
information provided is done so across the board. Seems like that is what
you are seeking to do.

A creative solution to all this may be to also make visitors aware of these
restricted areas (and why they are) as well. Perhaps a photo of the
restoration  of the room 'in progress'...placed on the door outside of the room along
with some interpretive information, would serve well.

I'm assuming that these may be original doors that you do not want to  alter,
and that is why I'm suggesting a temporary interpretive sign. If you can,
putting a peek window into the door could satisfy some curiosity. We have one of
 these in our office so if we are in a meeting or otherwise occupied and
can't be interrupted, at least visitors can have a little look inside.

If you aren't aware of the underlying cause for the docent's behavior, I
encourage you to find out just what it is.  Is it simply a matter of  the
docents' feeling that these areas are important and they want to  make sure to be
able to share this with visitors?

Seeking input - communicating with the docents about this matter is
important. You could involve them in the process of finding alternatives to  opening
these rooms up to the public. There is a reason they continue to do this
despite being told and I could offer more advice if you are able to share more
details.

Good Luck,
Pam

In a message dated 10/13/2005 6:20:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,