From:
John Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 1994 18:14:56 -0400
With all due respect for the technical information shared by Northeast
Document Center, Thompson Conservation Laboratory and other conservators
on MUSEUM-L, shouldnt we observe the Internet protocol against commercial
messages?  Unsolicited statements detailing professional expertises or
services available from a given laboratory or person, come across a
lot like commercial messages, on my screen.

Similarly, in responding to requests for information about conservation or
other resources, to suggest or imply that "nonprofit" providers are the
preferred sources of services or expertise, is misleading for the museum
community and detrimental to the development and health of professions.
Unfair competition from aggressive, wide-ranging tax-exempt conservation
operations makes it more difficult for conservators in private practice to
serve their communities.  The best sources of conservation referrals are
your local curatorial and conservation colleagues and the American
Institute for Conservation's FAIC Referral System.

John Scott, New York Conservation Center, NYC
            Chair, AIC Conservators in Private Practice