From:
Brent Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:29:59 -0600
Crystal,

All else being equal, I'd vote for the MPA, but only if you can get some
classes in fundraising, nonprofit management, and grantwriting--all
essentials for museum work. I got my MPA from the University of
Pittsburgh, which was a terrific program for me. It was an MPA with a
Certificate in Nonprofit Management, through their Graduate School of
Public and International Affairs, or GSPIA ("GHISS-pee-uh"). I did
internships at several of Pittsburgh's museums, and I got great
experience out of it.

As part of my program, I took a marketing class in Pitt's business
school, sitting side-by-side with all the MBAs. I often recount the
story of speaking up in class one day: We were doing a case study about
a company that developed a drastically more effective toothbrush, and we
were discussing how the company could make the most profit from it. I
said I thought the company had a moral obligation to offer that
toothbrush at a low cost so more people could afford it... You should
have seen the dumbfounded look on my classmates' faces. Sacrifice profit
for "the public good"? I was clearly a space alien masquerading as a
human or something--what a ridiculous idea! Anyway, that day I was glad
I hadn't pursued an MBA.

Like in all graduate programs (and I've participated in more than my
share, unfortunately), there were a couple of my MPA classes that really
sucked, but there were more than enough that were excellent.

Plus, Pittsburgh's a great city.

Good luck,

brent

o o o o o o o o o o o o

A valentine Family Dino Day, Feb. 10:
www.texasmemorialmuseum.org

R. Brent Lyles
Director of Public Programs
Texas Memorial Museum of Science and History
2400 Trinity Street, D-1500
Austin, Texas 78705-5786
tel. (512) 471-3551
fax. (512) 471-4794