From:
Angela Brayham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:47:25 -0700
You need to decide why you want either degree.  I have an MBA and started
but did not finish a PhD in Public Policy / Administration.  I decided to do
an MBA degree as I had been the director of a number of small art museums
and I felt that the additional business training would be helpful.  More
importantly I found myself between jobs and was able to take advantage of a
new Accelerated MBA program that was being offered by a near by university.
  An MBA degree, in most institutions really focuses on the corporate world.
  While I found it valuable to learn more about finance, e-commerce,
operations management, etc. etc.  What I found most valuable was being in
classes and participating in projects and discussions with individuals who
are only focussed on business, the bottom line and share value.  It really
made me re-evaluate the way I pitch sponsorships, donor programs, etc.  I
also think it was valuable to the members of my class, when I would question
issues relating to social responsibility, community values, etc.  Things
many business students rarely consider.

I have to admit that having an MBA in addition to my art history background
has given me a slight edge in competing for jobs.  Board Members are often
business people and they understand what an MBA is and stands for.  There is
an impression among many business people that individuals with arts degrees
don't understand business.  Long before I had an MBA, I was often explaining
the financial statements to these same business people.  However, the MBA,
does in some cases make them think that I do know what I am talking about.

An MPA degree is going to be more applicable to the non-profit world and
therefore, you will probably find it more interesting and directly useful.
I think ultimately the decision is personal.    What do you want to do with
your career?  I still think that in most museum settings having a strong
background in the subject matter is important.  I can train almost anyone to
do financial reports or to understand the principles of marketing - but it
is a lot more difficult to train someone to understand and be passionate
about contemporary art.

If you are thinking about leaving the museum field - then either of these
degrees may help you.  However, I still remember one of my professors on the
first day of our MBA program telling us that if we think an MBA will get us
a great job we might as well leave now and save ourselves the time and hard
work.  An MBA or MPA is just another tool.  It is the knowledge and
experience that you combine it with that will really make a difference.

With all that said.  I think that education is always a good thing.  So,
just think about what you want to do and what you are expecting a graduate
degree to do for you.  Grad school is costly and a lot of hard work.  Look
into a number of different programs and decide which is right for you, not
necessarily which you think will get you a better job!  Good luck.

Angela Brayham
Director / Curator
Canadian Craft and Design Museum
639 Hornby St