From:
Stephen Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:36:08 -0400
Dear colleages,

Here is my first take on those who responded to my survey last week.  Note
that most of these were received within 24 hours of sending the question.  I
would not say this is a scientific study.  This is just an initial sense of
the responses.  More time will allow me to better categorize the and analyze
the collected data.  But I did want to get back to you.  Note on bottom of
this page, the mix of those who responded.  There were a little over 100
respondents.  I did not see many initial differences between non-profit and
for-profit folks or even consultants who work alone.

I would love your response or thoughts on this.    I am looking for a few
organizations who would like me to do this just for them (their entire
staff)  to see if different organizations have differences in responses.  I
will certainly share the results with the organization.

Thanks,

Stephen

Here are the questions and the top 11 answers to each question.

List three things that spark your energy and passion as you go about
your work from day to day?

1. Working with Motivated and Talented People
42
2. Creative work that generates new ideas and doing new things
42
3. Being appreciated, respected and trusted to do your job
41
4. Helping others and having positive impact on others
40
5. Solving problems and being challenged by deadlines
24
6. Doing something that makes a difference
23
7. Personal Breakthroughs
17
8. Getting some balance beyond work
15
9. Professional Development and learning on the job
13
10. Having Clear Objectives with a clear end
8
11. Having Lots of interaction with Others
6

2)  List three things that drain your energy and passion as you go about
your work from day to day?

1. Working with Incompetence ­ including micro management and breach of
ethics                             38
2. Working with complainers, whiners and negative people
35
3. Unrealistic Expectations  and insufficient resources to get the job done
­ money, time and people    29
4. Lack of interesting work or lots of repetitive work
24
5. When turf and walls inhibit  work  -- egomania ­ personnel conflicts
23
6. Lack of appreciation and feedback
20
7. Paper Work, budgets, excessive Email and bureaucracy
18
8. Meetings ­ especially ineffective and poorly planned meetings with no
purpose                               14
9. Working with shallow thinkers who follow rules for no reason
10
10. Working with distant  and power hungry management team day-to-day
8
11. Doing something where I have no value or control
8

Roles of respondents:
Non profit mgmt  or employees                  41
Consultants                                                 34
For Profit employees or mgmt                    14
Academic                                                    5
Govšt employee                                            2
Teachers                                                      2
Lawyer                                                        1

So, what should we do?

Create a learning and every changing workplace with interesting and
motivated people who provide appropriate feedback and appreciate those
around them.  Challenge people and give them a chance to make a difference.
Give people the room to have some balance outside of work by providing the
necessary resources to do their jobs at work.  Abolish all wasteful
bureaucracy, paperwork and meetings that have no purpose or effective
motivating elements.  Get rid of incompetent, negative, whiney, unethical,
turf building and power hungry employees ‹ especially managers.  Also, hire
motivated and interesting people.

By doing all of this you will have a dynamic, energized, motivated and
vibrant employee base that will be dedicated to your vision and make things
happen.

Donšt I make it sound so simple.

Enjoy the data.

Regards,

Stephen

If you do not want to receive these types of emails about innovation in the
workplace, please press reply and write remove in the subject.

Stephen Brand
President and Chief Imagination Officer
The New Enterprise Factory
1799 Akron Peninsula Road
Akron, OH 44313
330-864-1518 phone
1-702-995-6894 fax
www.enterprisefactory.com

TEC Chairman-NE Ohio #490 and #1180
Increasing the Effectiveness and Enhancing the Lives of CEO's
www.teconline.com

Tune into Enterprise Factory Radio via the internet
Listen at your own time and pace --  www.enterprisefactory.com
A show about New Ventures, Entrepreneurship and Innovative Business
Practices