From:
Elizabeth Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 06:53:07 -0700
Betsey,
I understand 'our' overhead rate is a ratio based on the percent of effort allocated to the project against the total cost of day to day operation....base is just the cost of operating the facility; 'loaded' would be the facility plus rate for labor; and fully loaded would also include labor plus benefits plus facilities.  It's good to know what those numbers are when you're in a competitive bid situation; or even if you can afford to bid; but I think the cost of overhead ultimately depends on how the funding source defines 'overhead' in the RFP and award contract.  Not that I've seen it in the not for profit world, but In a really tight competition sometimes the 'definition' of overhead can be a point of negotiation.  I hope this helps a little.
Liz Clarke
Morrill Mountain Consulting