From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2014 14:01:15 -0400
One of the ways in which you can organize the library is by using
LibraryThing (www.librarything.com). It was originally developed for
personal libraries (I use it for that) and as a social media platform for
booklovers. Libraries are now using it to catalog their books (the
interface draws the information directly from the Library of Congress,
Amazon, and many other sources) and have the listing online for their
patrons. You can also choose to keep the library private so that no one can
see it except the person who put the library together, though I believe it
can be shared privately. It does not have a module for keeping track of
circulation, but you may not need that. There is a very small one-time
charge to enter more than 200 books (I think that's the amount) into your
account.

For an example of an institutional library collection on LibraryThing, see
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/JYF_Library, which is one of the two
libraries used at my employer, the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation. We are
working at putting the other library online, using LibraryThing, in the
future.

As far as LOC or Dewey cataloging is concerned, the resulting records
include both, in standardized form, meaning that you don't have to invent a
system for yourself or learn how to do LOC or Dewey cataloging (each
complicated in their own way). For labeling the books with a classification
number, you can use a fine-point Sharpie to write the number directly on
the spine or purchase book labels from Gaylord, one of the major library
supply companies, and write the numbers on those.

I am the librarian for my small (2500 or so records) synagogue library, and
we have been using another system (Readerware) for about 10 years, but I am
in the process of cleaning up the database so that I can export it to
LibraryThing and have it online for all of our congregants. Readerware's
database is only available on the computer in which it resides, which makes
it impractical for our situation, and it is more expensive than
LibraryThing.

Hope this helps.

Martha Katz-Hyman
Curator