From:
Cathy Melendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:13:03 -0500
My work is a little different than what you may consider museum work because
I work in the accounting department at the Art Institute of Chicago.  We
usually hire interns for the summer (no pay) and yes we probably give them
our "dirty work" which would consist of filing or reconciliations.  The
interns I think always expect more, including actual financial statement
compilation.  I think, because we are non-profit and have limited staff, for
the amount of work, there is a lack of time in which we have to train an
intern to do some of these tasks.  Many interns get discouraged and we often
loss them after a week.  This year we decided not to hire any interns.
Again let me remind you that this is just the accounting department.  There
are many other departments in the museum that hire interns and I am sure
have had positive outcomes.

>----------
>> From: A. Nichelson <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: internships
>> Date: Tuesday, April 08, 1997 10:12 PM
>>
>> I am wondering about people's opinions of interns who come to museums for
>> summer experience or more lengthy experience.  Do you feel that the work
>> done by interns is more often the "dirty work" or do your museums truly
>> offer staff level experience?  If the "dirty work" IS in fact being saved
>> for interns, then how can we expect to increase interest in museum work?
>> Shouldn't their experiences be similar to what they might encounter as a
>> museum professional?
>> Former or current interns AND musuem professionals please reply.

Cathy Melendez
Assistant Director of Financial Planning & Reporting
The Art Institute of Chicago
work (312)443-4967
e-mail  [log in to unmask]