From:
Lisa Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 08:16:57 -0600
You asked if long-term interns only get the dirty work...

I think that depends on both the intern and the supervisor.  I've been
both and I've done and had my interns do their share of xeroxing, but I've
also served as an assistant coordiantor of public programs and given my
interns the same job.  I've done research and so have they.  I've drafted
and tested hands-on activities and so have they.  I've attended meetings
and so have they.  It just depends on the attitude of the supervisor and
the skills and desires of the interns.  If an intern is only doing "dirty"
work, then they should discuss it with their supervisor and if that
doesn't do the trick, go to someone hirer up and/or perhaps change with
whom they are interning. I think it's the short term interns that tend to
get more "dirty" work as they are not around long enough to accurately
train or access their skills.  But, again, it all depends on the people
involved. When working with interns, I always remember why I was interning
and what my experiences were--luckily I had good and caring supervisors
who letter became my role models when working with my own interns,

Lisa Falk
museum and education consultant