Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 22:48:49 -0400
I rehoused a large collection of mixed material fans similar to what you
have.  Some storage choices have variations. Opening fans prevents them
from having to be handled as much and i properly housed can be safe, but
it takes much more time and could be more vulnerable to damage as well.
We opened the ones that could be opened and took digital pictures and
catalogued them, but then stored them folded because of time and severe
space concerns.

There are some images here of the mounts I did:
http://www.clotheslinejournal.com/images_work.htm

I have learned some improvments since then that I would do now that
would make these more attractive as well as better supports.

Flat fans could be stored as you see, but with cubes of ethafoam and a
bigger tray you can stack them in a box as well.

Folded fans can be stored in a box with custom or pre-made dividers,
with tissue you can adjust them so they wont slide open (but dont squish
them either).

Floppy ones can be genly held folded with twill tape.

CCI notes have images of how to carve ethafoam to properly support open
fans. it is a fan shape with sort of steps.

any cut ethafoam supports should have a soft layer of tyvek, volara or
(more inexpensive) high density polypropolene between the object and the
ethafoam, unless you want the object all scratched up. volara can be
glue gunned, the others will stay in place if you tuck it in slits on
the sides of the ethafoam.

If you want some more details, e-mail e directly, I have more pictures.

Elizabeth Walton