From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:30:27 -0400
Hello - We have recently been given a microscope with assorted
accompanying paraphernalia. Some of this, such as the case and the extra
lenses/objectives, I will be putting into the database under the listing
for the microscope itself, but some of the others have me stumped. A
booklet of lens cleaning paper, for instance. The box of unused slides I
don't have any trouble with; would the ones with stained and labeled
specimens be considered "mount, specimen"? As for the odd bits of paper
and cloth used to wrap these slides to keep them from rattling around in
the drawer, I'm at a loss. I would like to put it under Multiple Use
Artifacts, but there ain't no such thing as wrappers under that
category. Maybe I should use fragment, paper and fragment, cloth. That's
just seems so sloppy to me, because it doesn't imply function, which is
what Nomenclature is all about, ain't it? But I'm a registrar, so by
definition I abhor sloppy categorizations. Sigh. Sloppy desks are
another matter.

Thanks, as always, for any help you can give me in my never-ending quest
to stuff my size 8.5 feet into size 7 Nomenclature categories.

Anne T. Lane

Anne T. Lane

Collections Manager

704.568.1774 x110 phone

704.566.1817 fax

The Charlotte Museum of History and Hezekiah Alexander Homesite

Where  History Has a Home

3500 Shamrock Drive

Charlotte, NC  28215-3214

www.charlottemuseum.org

Featured Exhibits:

ToyTime: Larger-than-Life Folk Toys, September 8 to December 30, 2007

Flags Across The Nation: Quilts of Patriotism, September 11 to November
11, 2007

Charlotte Neighborhoods: Brooklyn to Biddleville, Now through January
25, 2008