Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:21:36 EDT
Thanks to friend Barbara Bockrath of the Oliver Miller Homestead in PA. for
 this article... scroll on down.

The following  is a quotation from William "Wild Willy" Frankfort's column
_The Road Less  Traveled_ in the "Union Finley Messenger", July 2009,
a newspaper printed in  the suburbs just south of Pittsburgh, PA.
......... F.Y.I.

"It seems  that our [Penna] elected officials have seen fit to discontinue
history and  culture in these, "Tough economic times".  You may ask,
"What does he  mean discontinuing?"  I am writing about the conspiracy to
keep you all  glued to the television.

Sounds weird doesn't it?  Let me  explain.  In the last few months, our
elected
officials have seen fit to  close more than 30 percent of the state and
federally
run historic sites and  historic sites and parks administered by the
National Parks
Service.   this means that many smaller museums are being closed and their
artifacts are  being sent to other larger museums.

What happens to those displays and  artifacts?  Nothing.  They are stored
because
there is nowhere to  display them or they are sold off.  This means that
small, local
museums  or historic sites may never open again.  They just put up the gate,
lock  it, and that's that.  We can write all the letters we want and it
does no  good
because  the money  is needed for "stimulus".

This  isn't all going to happen this year.  Some sites have money budgeted
till  the
end of this year, but sure as shootin' they will close when the money  runs
out.
What is ironic and historically a fact is, in "tough economic  times" like
these historic
sites and museums do well.   Think about  it: the admission fees are cheap,
and it is
a fun, inexpensive day for those  of us who have children.

What I do see is how much money was spent to  inform us of the change over
to the
new digital television system.   Let's face it, as our less expensive parks
and historic
venues close, we're  gonna need all the "free" television we can get.  Now
we can sit
back  and watch our elected officials on the tube tell us how well they are
doing  fixing
the economy.   And does it seem that our governor and  President are
getting a heck
of a lot of more air time lately?

It  seems to me, we are just where they want us to be.  Scared and waiting
to  hear
how much better we are for what they are doing for us.  All in  beautiful,
high-definition
digital glory.

OK, I'm done.  That's  my conspiracy theory:  the government wants us to be
in front
of the  tube or at work.  But, if they start closing amusement parks,
sports  franchises
and movie theaters, you will know my theories are  correct.

I'll see you at the local [grocery] market.  Cause  outdoors, culture and
history are
closed till further notice in  Pennsylvania."

As I went down my contact list of people involved with history or culture
in some way, it made me realize how powerful a medium email can be. Please
send  this article on to whoever you think could use it. Cite it. Maybe it
will be a  wake up call for some who have grown complacent about supporting
their local  museums, historic sites and libraries. Monetary support is good,
but live warm  volunteers and people to help in leading these organizations
are just as  important.

Jane Oakes

If you don't know history,  you don't know anything.
You're like a leaf that doesn't even know it's part  of a tree.
(Michael Crichton)
**************Dell Deals: Treat yourself to a sweet deal on popular
laptops!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223096155x1201715982/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D6)