From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 12:06:12 -0700
Mike,

You need to be a bit more specific about your concerns here.

If a couple of objects are radioactive, nearby objects usually don't
absorb that radiation and retain it. The biggest concerns are possible
penalties in shipping even low-level radiaoactive sources without
proper labelling and packing, and the possible human exposure
liability.

If all of this was already shipped through the USPS and if the sources
were of any significance I would hope they would have detected it.

US Mail and shipments are being irradiated by the USPS to "sterilize"
possible biological warfare type agents as a result of the Anthrax
scare six years ago. I know that a group of conservators and
scientists were concerned about the effect of this on museum obejcts
and formed a panel to look into this (TL dates could be reset if
enough radiation is involved for instance) - I do not remember seeing
their report or conclusions on this.

As far as the donor goes (are these their objects?) they should be
returned with proper notification about any possible radiactivity and
in proper packaging with appropriate labelling. You can check on the
appropriate requirements via the USPS and you can also check with a
nearby hospital, for instance, that uses radioactive isotopes in their
nuclear medicine program. Also the mineral collectors often have
specimens that contain low level radiation so that might alos be a
source of information.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey