From:
Glyn Balkwill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 00:02:37 +0200
At 09:43 08/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>A number of years ago I was involved with an exhibition of a typical,
>traditional (Mexican) kitchen. Some real food was included (rice, corn) to
>add authenticity to the display. We took some precautions in preparing the
>stuff to make it as unpalatable as possible which included drying,
>spraying, and adding a smattering of poison. While this was effective
>for keeping mice away (at least we didn't see any), it didn't stop the
>bugs. We had to change the stuff frequently and eventually gave up because
>of the potential risk to collections. I would recommend keeping a close
>look-out for pests other than mice - especially if other sensitive
>collections are nearby (clothing, textiles, etc.)
>
>Bill Low

I know this is late at night, and I've just spent x hours trying to get a
new server and Win95 machines to respect the same info security as the old
system used to, but really - aren't the mice and bugs part of the real
world? Should they be expelled from your exhibit! If they get in there in 97
they've been there for a long time - being a geologist I sometimes have to
question how realistic our ideas of preserving objects forever is. - and my
kids would go for the mice and bugs if they visited.

I guess I'm trying to question the line between artificially sterile
displays and the real thing, which is what museums supposedly supply uniquely.

We've had people on this thread offering cats, house snakes, etc. I think
these add authenticity to the display - the restaurant next door is a
service, they should not dictate plastic solutions. Maybe it would do the
visiting public good to see a mouse or two - sanitise the storerooms, not
the exhibitons!

And in the real world you're trying to interpret, cats, snakes, dogs,
mongooses(geese) etc. dealt with the mice.

Glyn        The xyz machine will work and pay our salaries tomorrow!

Just read Chris Dill's posting and guess he and I are trying to say the same
thing

* Glyn Balkwill                     Tel (w)  : 27 (0)12 341-1320 *
* Deputy Director                   Tel (h)  : 27 (0)12 664-1973 *
* Collections Management            Cell     : 27 (0)82 770-7826 *
* National Cultural History Museum  Fax      : 27 (0)12 341-6146 *
* PO Box 28088                      Email    : [log in to unmask]   *
* SUNNYSIDE                                                      *
* 0132  RSA                                                      *
* Any opinions expressed are strictly my own                     *