From:
David Lewias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 13:50:36 -0500

Please Forgive my rant folks . . .

-----------

Del Baker-Robertson,Marketing Director AAM wrote:
 >> AAM anticipated that the BMI letter would raise
 >> a lot of questions . . . .is one of your
 >> membership benefits.

Del,

Oh wow -- is the AAM working with BMI? ? Is BMI using the AAM's mailing list??
Have you been following this music liscensing thread on the AASLH-Small Museums
list?? On that list many museums have complained of outright harassment by BMI
telemarketers!? Is this uninvited attention (harassment) one of our "AAM Member
Benefits!?" Thanks but no thanks! ...I want to belong to an organization that
is sympathetic to the needs and realities of a small museum. An organization
that understands small museums are already over-worked, over-stressed, and
over-taxed without having to add a letter/phone call fishing for a music license
to our list of worries!?

Of course playing music without a license is wrong, and I commend AAM for doing
"damage control" and working on a Music Licensing Fact Sheet (perhaps a too
little-too late), but as a SMALL museum (who plays NO music in our galleries or
events), I resent hearing that the AAM is willingly cooperating (nay - enabling)
these strong-arm thugs!

- David -
Curator of a small-SILENT museum that is
reconsidering its AAM institutional membership