From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:09:42 -0800
The furniture conservators that I know like to use Antique Wax. After
it is buffed out it should form a coherent coating plane on the
surface of the wood - you may need to use q-tips in any detail work or
crevices.

Yes this will capture dust but it keeps the dust on the wax coating
and not on the wood. Frequent monitoring and dusting with a soft
natural bristle brush towards the nozzle of a vacuuam should work
fine. Never dust an historic or art object with a rag or cloth as dust
can be highly abrasive to soft surfaces.

Instead of windex, which has amonia, I'd recommend using an alcohol
such as ethanol or isopropyl diluted in distilled water, about 50%,
for cleaning historic glass and mirrors.

Finally, don't even think of using oil on historic wood surfaces.
Organic oils will crosslink over time and darken and virtually
intractable to remove later on.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey