From:
Sue Linder-Linsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:01:52 -0500
Beth:

If you are using a Macintosh it is simple. Use FormMaker or FM's WebTool to create a web page (html) document that is either putting information into or taking information out of a FM file. Then create a "home" page (filemaker comes with examples) that calls up FM when the "home"
page is visited. In Filemaker Preferences, Applications, under plug-in  check Web Companion. After you choose which layout of the FM file you want to access via the web all variables on the web page must exactly match the variables on the layout. The variable names have to be
exactly the same and you have to use all variables on the layout. This may require creating a duplicate layout for web use that only contains the variable you are going to need. The variables must be in the same order on the web page as they are on the layout (from top to bottom).

You also need to set FM up for web sharing: under File, File Sharing make sure you have multi-user and Web Companion selected.  All files to be accessed from the web have to be in the same folder and you have to tell FM which folder is the web folder.

Here is the tricky part:

Everytime you restart you machine be sure Web sharing is off. Open the Filemaker file that you want to be accessed via the web then turn Web sharing on. The FM file must remain open at all times if you want continual access from the web and FM must always be opened before turning
on Web sharing. You will get an error message about port 80 being in use if things are not started in the right order. I make the web folder a pop-up window and keep it a the bottom of my screen so I can easily start the FM file when I restart my computer. I minimize the FM window
and put it out of the way.

If you are using a PC or Unix machine it has to have file serving capabilities and will require additional Web server software as well as a copy of FM. In most cases PC's have to be dedicated servers. You can run web sharing on your mac and never know it is a web server. If the
rest of you web site is on a Unix web server you just include a link from one of the pages to your "home" page for FM. This sends the user to the computer with FM. The url is your IP address and will be something like: http:// ###.###.##.##/home. Look in the TCP/IP control panel to
get IP address it should be a series of numbers separated by "."

If you have any other questions about how to do this contact me off list at: [log in to unmask]

Sue Linder-Linsley