From:
Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:35:07 -0700
We smudged in our museum when I was director. Not in the collections area, but still in the museum. We also had the museum blessed each year. Sometimes, in these situations, the traditional culture  must take precedence over preservation standards. Ask the director, is he preserving stuff, or a culture. It goes against archaeological training (which I have) to smudge, but it is often best to follow the cultural practices (which I also have.)