From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:08:54 -0700
Sarah,

There are so many things that have to be known about this before giving you
more than general advice. Is the sculpture fragile? Is it stained, painted,
or coated? Is is dirty? If so, what is on the surface? And so on. Cleaning
is not some generic thing that applies to all objects equally. In cleaning
there is always the potential to remove things from an object as well as to
leave residues behind - so you really have to understand the object, the
"dirt", and the materials to safely do that.

You can do a gentle vacuuming to get dust off the surface (use a soft
bristle brush and brush into the nozzle of a vacuum (the nozzle should be
covered with sheer nylon). If you have a variable-speed vacuum then use that
at lower volume.

I would advise you to call and consult a conservator who you can send
digital photos to with all the information on the piece so they can help
you.

Go to the AIC website:
http://www.conservation-us.org/

And click on the link for "Find A Conservator" - you can search for a Wooden
Artifacts conservators in your region.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA