From:
"Lax, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 16:18:43 PST
Our collections database is in FileMaker Pro 3.0 and we are currently developing
other files that utilize the relational functions of that version to streamline
collection management tasks. We have created a loan form with these relational
aspects that works well as a loan form but so far we are unable to further
manipulate the date in the manner we want. We're not even sure if FileMaker is
able to do what we want.

On the loan form, the basic registration information for the loan (Loan ID #,
Borrower's name and address, Loan period, etc.) are listed in Global fields in a
title header and are individual to each loan. The body of the form includes the
listing of the objects to be lent. When we type in the catalog number of an
object, with the relational functions, FileMaker automatically enters other
pertinent information (such as name of object, culture, description,
measurements, etc.) by linking them from the main database. This is done with
related fields as opposed to a lookup. Each object (along with accompanying
information fields) comprises a separate record in the loan file. This serves as
the hard copy.

After a loan is completed, we would like to move the loan file's registration
information (from the Title Header Global Fields) and the list of loan objects'
catalog numbers (from the individual records in the file) into a master loan
file so that the original loan file would actually serve as a template for
subsequent loans. For permanent record keeping purposes we only need a record of
what objects were lent to whom, when, and for what purpose. Specific cataloging
information for objects will still be available in the main database so we see
no need to duplicate it in the master loan file.

Because neither the name of a borrower or a particular object is unique to any
one loan, we thought that perhaps we could organize the master loan file by the
Loan ID#. Using FileMaker's Portal function, we can view records in this manner
with the list of catalog numbers appearing in the portal. However, once the loan
form is cleared, the catalog numbers are also deleted from the portal in the
master file.

It would seem that there must be a way fir FileMaker Pro to do what we want but
we haven't been able to find it yet. Would would appreciate advise from any
FileMaker Pro 3.0 users.

Andy Lax
Russell Hartman