From:
Laura Seifert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:22:58 -0500
While everyone knows the reasons to take a job like this (experience
hopefully will lead to a better job later, most would rather poor pay at a
great job than high pay and misery), there are larger problems here. As a
profession, we are loosing talented people to other jobs. If we continue to
work harder with less staff and less money, quality will drop. We don't do
ourselves any favors in the (very) long run by undervaluing ourselves.

We should take a page from archaeology and focus on promoting ourselves and
educating the public about the benefits of museums. People are willing to
pay for and support what they value. To paraphrase Cybil Sheppard, "We're
worth it".  I realize this is easier said than done, but it can be and the
Florida Public Archaeology Network is proof. (For the record I am also
doing 2 part-time, poorly paid jobs).

Laura Seifert

Chairperson, Savannah Heritage Emergency Response
http://sheronline.info