From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2007 20:33:05 -0700
Chris,

I talked today to a nationally recognized expert in 19th century
photography who teaches courses at the Getty Center. He looked at the
jpeg of your object and he suggested that this might be a zinc
photographic plate used for printing. He also feels that the darkened
surface may be due to old ink that was left on the plate (this would
be a photgravure plate).

From what we are able to see in the image you sent both he and I feel
that this image is probably from around the 1890's - 1900 period.
Although it could be earlier - we just could not see much detail in
that jpeg.

You can check this by gently running your fingers across the surface -
if you feel texture then it is definitely a printing plate.

Also you can take water based ink and gently rub it on the plate to
resaturate and clean it so that the original image is more visible -
and since water based ink is reversible you can wash it off.

If this does turn out to be a plate then the image on it will be
reversed, of course, when you print with it. You may consider talking
to a printer and printing a few images off of it that you can then use
for exhibition.

Of course, the losses on the surface will always be losses, but you
can get the prints retouched once you make them.

Cheers!
Dave